Monday, November 2, 2009

Another Halloween Come and Gone

The kids didn't have school on Friday this past week, so we decided to make some sugar cookies. It's always a hit with the kids, but to be quite honest, it isn't a favorite of mine.




We even had a couple of extra friends join us in our cookie decorating fun. Hey, it's less for me to deal with.:)




Hayden was the only one who didn't want to decorate cookies. I guess it just didn't appeal to him to get frosting all over and eat bunches of straight sugar the way they all do.

Halloween day we carved pumpkins with the kids. This year, we had Rylee and Lana design and carve their own pumpkins.



Rylee was very serious about the whole thing. She's a perfectionist like me, unfortunately.


The girls both wanted to wear plastic gloves to get the "guts" out of their pumpkins. They say it makes their hands itchy to touch it.


Lana with her finished pumpkin. She even drew hair on it with a black crayon. She did a pretty good job for her age and considering the fact that it was her first time carving a pumpkin!

Bill and I had to take care of cleaning out and carving Hayden and Kate's pumpkins. They wouldn't even help us get the "guts" out. Common phrases heard from their little mouths while we were cleaning them out were, "Ew, that's disgusting," and "Ew gross!" Wimps.



Hayden thought it was funny to say, "You didn't tell me you were gonna kill it," from Charlie Brown. He kept saying it from the time we first cut into his pumpkin until Bill was done carving it.



Then, of course, it was time for trick-or-treating. They couldn't wait to leave. (What kid can?) But I was the mean mom that made them stop to get a few pictures taken before they left on their quest for candy.

Lana was a High School Musical cheerleader.

Kate was a princess. But if you ask Hayden what she was, he will tell you she was Baby Peach from Mario Kart. He's a little obsessed with that right now.


Hayden was Luigi. Did I mention that the kid loves Mario Kart?

Rylee was a witch. She was the only one who let me make her costume. She's a good sport to let me experiment with my lack of sewing skills on her.:)


We hope you all had a fantastic Halloween. Now we just need to figure out what to do with the tons of candy the kids brought home.;)

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I know! And we need to get rid of all the candy before I EAT it all!! Practically everyone gave away chocolate this year! The kids look awesome and I really dig that Luigi costume!! And Rylee's costume looks STORE BOUGHT you fancy sewing woman you! IMPRESSIVE Hil darlin! I love the kids carving skills! I sure do miss ya'll!

Dawn Rae said...

I love the plastic gloves! I could so see you doing that! Cute costumes too!

Candace said...

I'm with Rylee and Lana on touching the pumpkin guts! The rubber gloves look like the way to go!

They all looked super cute in their costumes! So I'm curious to know if you and Bill dressed up?!

Tarrah said...

Your the cool mom that all the neighborhood kids want to hang out at your house because there is always something fun going on. I remember those moms...:)

I don't have a craft bone in my body so might need some pointers one of these days. What great ideas!!!

Bill looked like he really got into carving his pumpkin.

Tai said...

The kids looked so cute!! I am a little bummed I didn't get to see them on Halloween!! Oh-well, so it goes right?? You did a great job on Rylee's costume!

Company EIGHT said...

I'm tellin' ya girl, you gotta try the Halloween Gingerbread Houses next year! Then I do make sugar cookies, but just round ones that they can decorate to their hearts' content.

Love all your Halloween kiddos--and great job on the witch costume! LOVE the shoes!!

Larsens said...

Those were some fun costumes. What a great Halloween for you and the family.