Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Few Of My Favorite Things

So, the classic song, "My Favorite Things" has got me to thinking about my favorite things. And if anyone can tell me why the heck that song is now considered to be a Christmas song, please enlighten me. I still consider it a "thunderstorm, jump-on-the-bed" song. In that song, they mention some pretty random things, so here is my list:

1. My husband's sense of humor and quick wit. Example: Tonight while we were tucking the kids into bed, our three-year-old had the hiccups from laughing and she did a hicca-burp. (I hope you all understand what that is - pretty self explanatory!) So she started laughing and said she "Hicced-up." My husband then said to me, "Is that what they call it when you get knocked up by a cowboy?"

2. Carbs, carbs, carbs!!!

3. My oldest daughter doing a belly laugh over something she heard on "Spongebob," my three-year old daughter laughing when she has done something mischievous, my sweet boy laughing when I just look at him and pull a face, and my baby doing those first belly laughs when the older kids dance around her waving pom-poms. Who knew they were so funny?

4. Being scratched from head to toe by Bill. I am part cat, I decided.

5. Whoopie cushions. Oh. come on, you know they are hilarious! Nothing funnier than that sound - and all the different variations you can make if you experiment with the things!

6. Sleeping kids!

7. My new iPod that my sweet husband got me for Christmas. I have been downloading songs from my CD's all day onto it, and rediscovered some songs I had forgotten about. The best rediscovery was my Garth Brooks Live album with the live version of "Friends in Low Places" on it. I'm a rotten person to admit it, but there is something that feels really good after the week I have had about singing the line in the third verse "You can kiss my a*#!"

8. I love when our whole family is healthy. Someone has been sick for the past month. Right now I have some disgusting rash all over that the doctor says is an allergic reaction to penicillin I was taking for mastitis. Maybe if I get brave, I will put pictures on a later post.

9. Sweet comments I have received by people on my blog. I can't believe how nice people are to read about someone they don't even know, and actually respond. WOW! Thank you to all who have read our little blog and taken time to respond. I am checking out the blogs of all who leave a comment because you have got to be AWESOME people!

10. Slippers! I could live in them 24/7.

11. Friends who make me laugh and give me support and much-needed encouragement and stress relief.

12. A fresh Christmas snowstorm (as long as I don't have to drive in it!)

13. The smell of fresh, clean laundry.

14. Snuggling my kids or my husband.

15. The Fourth of July. I know we are in the middle of the Christmas season, but I love the Fourth of July. The barbecues, the fireworks, the parades, the patriotism, the flags, the red, white, and blue dinner we make every year, the gatherings, the summer, the cute patriotic clothes for kids, etc. I could go on and on.

16. Plumeria flowers. I wish we lived in a climate where we could grow them. When I went to Hawaii, I walked around all over the place with a plumeria blossom stuck to my nose. Love them!

17. Thunderstorms! I love rainy, stormy days with a good, loud thunderstorm.

18. An unexpected email, card, or phone call from friends I haven't talked to or seen in a while.

19. Sitting with a bunch of other women and just laughing!

20. Did I mention my fantastic husband?! He is definitely my most favorite thing. He is way more patient with me than I deserve, and is always so encouraging and kind.

I have a lot of "favorite things," but I have probably listed too many. What are your favorite things?

5 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

I can't figure out why it is a Christmas song unless you count the "brown paper packages tied up in string." But, heck. That could be a package through UPS.

You are having fun with that iPod. I don't think I am going to see you for awhile. Your going to be stuck to your computer for a long, long time.

We need to have another night out soon and neither of us are going to be sick!!!! That is an order. ;)

Heidi said...

Hilary,

How fun to see your cute little family. I had heard you were going to have another baby. Congratulations! Your blog is hilarious!

Blackeyedsue said...

Hey if I am brave enough to put a picture of me with freaking strep throat in my rocking chair, I had better see a picture of that rash.

Is that who I think it commenting?!?!?!

Larsens said...

#16. Plumeria. Hilary!!!It is my favorite flower too. Who knew!!Last time when we went to Hawaii, I bought a plant and brought it home. It is happily growing, and I'm hoping that one day I will have awesome plumerias growing on it. Love, love, love the flowers and the smell is divine.

JD said...

I can't believe you said Fourth of July! I was just thinking about the fourth and the hot nights. I love that time of season.