Monday, November 17, 2008

I Need A Maid

Today is yet another cleaning day. (Didn't I just do this?) I can't believe how fast Monday comes around. I was tempted to just let it go today because I have a dirty rotten cold and just wasn't feeling up to cleaning. Yeah, that didn't work because I have a problem. I have a major case of O.C.D. when it comes to cleaning day. It makes me absolutely crazy if I can't get it done. So, I buckled down and got it done.

Only one problem: When you really need your kids to be good while you clean so that you can get it done fast before you run out of steam, they won't. I was happily cleaning away as I listened to my iPod since the loud and up-tempo music helps me not only get the job done quicker, but it helps drown out the kids. I figure that if they really need something, they will come get me. Otherwise, they can work out their little tiffs. Yeah, so my kitchen looked like this:


AAAHHHH. Nice and clean.


And my bedroom looked like this:
Ahhh, clean sheets. Can I crawl in that bed and go to sleep yet?


The bathrooms were clean and smelled like freshly bleached towels:



I hadn't heard from my kids for a while and then Lana comes in as I am finishing the last bathroom and says, "Mom, Hayden is making messes." Great. Can't wait to see. Apparently the iPod also makes Mommy unable to hear when the kids are getting into trouble. Dang it. I just can't win. So I walk into the girls' bedroom and this is what I find (a common occurrence in our house):


Great, I get to clean up about a thousand books. Why do I have to like books so much? And then, I walk into Hayden's room and find this:

So much for giving the Kate Goldfish crackers to keep her busy. Grrrr.


And do you see any children in those pictures? Nope. They made their messes and left. So what were they doing? They were making a mess of the family room! At lest they were playing and having fun together instead of fighting!:)


Even the kids themselves were a mess. Hey, I never claimed to be an attentive mother on cleaning day.


So off I went to clean up those fun messes and as I was in the bedrooms cleaning up books, vacuuming, and doing a little bit of huffing and puffing under my breath, the kids were busy in the family room. This time I got a good surprise. When I came out, this is what I found:


Happy kids who had cleaned up the whole family room without being asked! What good kids!


Then when they asked me to make them lunch, my first thought was, "Great, here goes the spotless kitchen and the "freshly-Pledged" table." But then I thought about part of the talk that President Monson gave in conference about finding joy in the journey. I'll just give the quote since I could never do it justice:


'If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will - to your surprise - miss them profoundly.'


I still get discouraged when I work so hard and things get messed up, but I know that this time will go fast and that I WILL miss all of it someday. I need to be better at "finding joy in my journey." Maybe that is why I take pictures of a clean house - because it doesn't last long. You know the phrase "Take a picture, it will last longer?" Totally true when it comes to a clean house. But I also had to take pictures of the messes because that is all part of having kids, and the fact that they pitched in and cleaned up without being asked makes me smile.


I love my kiddos to pieces and will be so sad when they are grown up and I don't have their little fingerprints all over the house and their dirty laundry to do and their artwork all over the fridge... But I hope that when that day comes I can say that I enjoyed my kids.


But this all brings me back to the title. I think I need a maid on cleaning day to do that deep cleaning so that I can play with the kids more, don't ya think?:)

12 comments:

beckylou said...

Your house looks great! Good job!

As for the maid. Hmm...I'd rather have someone to play with the kids so I could clean. How's that for sad?!

Andrea said...

Love it!!! It looked great in all of the pictures-even with goldfish and toys scattered. At least they pick up :)-you have great kids.

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

you inspire me. I figure it was a good day if the dishes are clean and there is underwear for the next day.I'm such an under-achiever.

Angie said...

We are SO related!!! Ditto to everything you said! What great kids to pitch in and clean. You are a great example to them!! Good luck getting the maid!

Candace said...

I envy you! I can never get it all done in one day....and I only have the one kiddo! Your home looks beautiful, if only for a day or say right! I'm with you....let's get a maid, maybe we can go in on one together!

Katherine said...

Man If I could ever get caught up on my cleaning. I wish my house was half as clean as yours. I need a designated cleaning day again. I need my house back to myself again so I don't feel like I'm bugging a certain someone whenever I try to clean.

By the way I would absolutly love it if Lana and Harrisen hooked up in another 12 years or so. better yet make it 17 and they can get serious about a relationship. He couldn't get better in-laws that would be for sure.

Tai said...

I hate cleaning day!!! I think about you every Monday and know that you are going through the same thing that I am. I feel the pain except for the fact I don't have the patience to take a picture and laugh. i want to quickly clean it up cause it drives me nuts. I keep thinking about just deep cleaning through the week all the time, but the thought of not having the whole house on one common playing field drives me nuts for some reason??? Go figure. Your house, however, always looks great... until my kids come to town.

Blackeyedsue said...

You know, I don't want a maid, I want a Hilary.

Larsens said...

You need to keep having more kids, so you will never run out of messes or fingerprints all over your house. Or the other option is to never clean again.

Anonymous said...

Monday is my cleaning day too... yuck! The dreaded day. :) Sign me up for the maid list! :)

Company EIGHT said...

Ironically enough, I am in the middle of my cleaning too, when I took a break to check my blog list. I feel the same way you do--the mess never ends! What good kids you have though, to help clean up!!

Picture Perfect said...

Before you got to President Monson's talk, I was going to say the exact same thing! I hate the messes too,but I know that it's really going to go fast so I need to appreciate the kids now.