Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sensory Overload...


...In a Good Way!

This past weekend, we dehydrated a bunch of apples. Talk about an awesome weekend!

They Looked so nice as they soaked before we peeled them.

We all Looked amazing in our pajama glory as we prepared the apples bright and early in the morning. Okay, Bill and the kids look great. :)

And check me out. Boy am I a Sight for sore eyes, or what!? I look amazing since I wore a hat the night before and thus have the ever-amazing hat hair, which is definitely worse on a girl than a guy. But oh no, the fantastic Looks don't stop there. I made sure my pajamas don't match either, just for your giggling enjoyment. Hey, I was tired the night before and was too lazy to change my shirt. So sue me.

The apple peeler/corer/slicer is always amazing to Watch.



The kids all had to take a turn trying out the apple peeler/corer/slicer. Good thing they all Look so darling!





They thought it was so fun to See the long, continuous apple peels.


We all thought it was funny Watching Lana using her peel as a jump rope.


See how pretty the apples are as they take a little bath in pineapple juice before they are put in the dehydrator!



While the apples soaked for a minute, some of the kids munched on the long apple peels. Lana threw hers away after she used it as a jump rope. Kate apparently thought they Tasted so yummy that she had to shove the whole thing in her mouth as fast as she could.




I then got the joy of Touching all of the stickiness as I fished the apples out of the juice to place them on the racks. But the girls wanted to help sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar on the apples.


See how pretty they look!


And what do you do with the leftover apples? No, you do not throw them away! You fish them out of the pineapple juice, sprinkle cinnamon/sugar on them and Eat them!!!

So, about a dozen Sticky hands and one VERY Sticky floor later, we have two dehydrators full of apples ready to go. (Thank you, mom and dad, for letting us borrow your dehydrator. It sure makes it go faster to have two dehydrators going at once!)


The best parts of the whole process is something I can't take pictures of. Have you ever Smelled what apples, soaked in pineapple juice and coated in cinnamon/sugar Smell like when they are drying? It is the yummiest Smell ever. It is the perfect fall Smell! It reminds me of being a kid and how excited I was for those apples to be dried so I could dig into them and Eat them!

The other thing I love about dehydrating apples is the Sound of the silent hum of the dehydrators. There is something so soothing about it. We did several batches of apples over the weekend, and my favorite batch was the one we did over night. I loved Hearing the hum of the dehydrators as I fell asleep.


There is something so comforting and nice about dehydrating apples. It brought a fall feeling to our home and was something we enjoyed doing together as a family. We will definitely be making this a fall tradition.

7 comments:

Picture Perfect said...

That looks like so much fun! It's ok to have PJ pics! We all wear them! I laughed watching Lana jump-roping with the peel! That's AWESOME! Next time invite me over so I can fall asleep to the dehydrater's hum!:)

Tai said...

That is very ambitious of you!! I am sure your kids will enjoy those yummy apples!! I can't wait until I have mature trees so we can do dried apples. Way to go!

Company EIGHT said...

What a fun and delicious project! I haven't ever use da dehydrator, but my family did when we were growing up. Those look so yummy--I think I may need to invest in one!

Company EIGHT said...

p.s. I haven't been able to attempt the skirts yet, but they are still on my list. My poor Ryan came down with H1N1, and it has been slightly crazy around here. Hopefully I will get to them soon!

Katherine said...

What a fun fall project. I should really make some of those since my kids all love them so much. Maybe next year I'll have the time and the dehydrator to do it. Or I'll just borrow the awesome one that my neighbor has. Maybe I'll have to do it this year....My mouth is watering.

By the way, I LOVE the look on Lana's face when she is watching the peeler. Is that the first time she has seen it?

Curtis and Jen said...

Those look delicious. I love snacking on dried apples. We made those once and used jello as flavoring. The kids go crazy over that stuff!

Tarrah said...

Lana's expression as you are peeling the apple is priceless. So cute!