Friday, February 13, 2009

The Sick Room

My family room has now officially turned into an infirmary.

Last weekend, Lana started to get a cough. By Tuesday night, it was horrible. Rylee stayed home from school on Tuesday because she said her ear hurt. Of course, all day she acted fine and I was ticked at her for missing school. Then Wednesday, she says she still doesn't feel well and that her ear really hurt. Lana still had a nasty sounding cough and I was honestly more worried about her. I thought she may have bronchitis or something. So Bill stayed home for the morning and took the two big girls to the doctor while I stayed home with the other two kids.


Boy did I get to eat my words. The doctor looked Rylee over and said she looked fine - ears and all. But then for some strange reason, he decided to do a throat culture on her. Wouldn't you know it, the girl has strep. So he does a throat culture on Lana too. Nope, no strep. She just has a bad cold and we just have to keep doing what we are doing. So after being mad at Rylee for "faking it" she has strep after all. She kept saying, "Mom, it's weird. I walked into the doctor's office with an earache and I came out with strep." What a goofball.


Lucky me, the doctor told us to keep Rylee home for the next 36 hours. So we set up camp in the family room.


And just for added fun, Kate and Hayden are both coming down with it too. Hayden is being a trooper through it so far and just wants to play. But Kate is so sad and clingy. Poor baby. This is her yesterday morning just sacked out with her blankie on the floor. Look at those sad little, glazed over eyes.


Give her a little bit of chocolate milk and she perks up a little bit.


Rylee and Lana have wanted to sleep out in the family room for the last couple of nights. Rylee loves the recliner and Lana loves the couch. So we put the humidifier between the two of them and let them inhale those lovely menthol vapors all day and all night.

Notice Lana's two boxes of tissues propped on the back of the couch. She insisted on them just in case she runs out.



Keep your fingers crossed that I don't come down with their gamboo just in time for them to get their energy back!:)



9 comments:

Jenn said...

Ah MAN! Well maybe on the bright side they'll all be doped up on medicine and sleep all day and you could do something cool like read a book or eat chocolate!

Anonymous said...

at least you made the best of it. I sure hope they feel better soon. I think I had strep 40x in junior high.

Tai said...

Hope your little kiddos get better soon!! Kinda fun just to be able to sit back and relax for a few days, just as long as it stays at a few days!!

Blackeyedsue said...

That picture of Lana just sacked out on the couch is so sad, and sweet!

Rylee's sense of humor is too cute.

And I wonder if Kate-bug and Miss Sophalicious have the same thing. Their eyes have the same red glazed over look.

Call me and we can gritch about how we love being mommies unless they are sick.

Love you Hil! You are such a good mom to give them so much love when they are sick. I just want to run away!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! So sorry everyone is sick! We just went through that too... no fun!! I am so ready for spring! Hope you stay well!!

Amy said...

I hope you do not get sick!

Katherine said...

I'm sorry you have had to deal with all that this week. At least you can look on the bright side. . . at least you get it all over with at the same time instead of drawing it out over the whole month. Stressful week though.

Larsens said...

Alex and Jorge both are sick. Nurse Rod is staying home. I've done plenty of nursing this month so it is my time to get away and go to work.
Hope the kiddos get better soon.

Picture Perfect said...

Poor kiddies! You aren't kidding about the whole infirmary look!