Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Day 2009

Our Valentine's Day began with a treasure hunt for the kids. They had to follow the trail of hearts to find their prizes. They were such good sports even though they were sick.

Here is the whole bunch of them finding a clue in my bathroom. That baby doll looks kinda freaked out, don't you think?



I decided to exercise my crafty side (believe me, that isn't a very big side) and make new pillow cases for Hayden and Kate. As you can see, Kate wasn't too sure about any of this. She just wanted to snuggle. Poor girl. She did finally get excited about it after she found the sippy cup in there as well. Then she asked for some chocolate milk and got comfy on the floor with that and her pillow. Of course I didn't get THAT cute picture.



Hayden was the most excited about the Spongebob fruit snacks at first. We had put some fruit snacks, popcorn, and the new "Space Buddies" movie in a basket for all of the kids to share. They really needed something to do since they were so sick.


Aw, look, he loves his pillow!



Rylee got a new little Valentine's Day outfit and I made her some bows to match. Gotta love that genuine smile!



Lana also got a new little Valentine's Day outfit and bows to match. She was so excited. It was darling!



And of course, there is the tradition of "heart attacking" the kids' rooms. Excuse the mess. I had sick kids all week. 'Nough said. Hayden's room looked just like this. He didn't care much about it though since he can't read all of the hearts that have things we love about the kids written on them.



The girls couldn't wait to get on their new outfits, so here are the pics of that:





I made Rylee and Lana pose for a picture together because they were arguing. :) Can you tell Rylee is totally faking that smile? Lana just thinks the whole thing is funny.


And as soon as I was done taking this picture, they turned to watch their new movie. It sure had them entertained, though I really don't know why. I thought it was pretty lame. But if it keeps them happy while they don't feel well, then who cares, right?


I was a big slacker this year. I usually make a nice dinner on Valentine's Day or we order the heart shaped pizzas, but I didn't bother since everyone was sick. I figured the good food would just go to waste if I made it. So I just made home-made rolls and we had deli sandwiches on them. It worked.

And then it was time for the traditional heart-shaped cake for dessert.


They sure liked the cake. It made Rylee and Lana feel the love, finally.



We had a great day, even though the kids were sick. My parents came over to visit for a while and the kids all loved seeing them. And like a dork, I forgot to take a picture of this too! Will someone find my brain for me, please?

I hope you all had a fantastic Valentine's Day!

9 comments:

Laurie said...

You always do an amazing job making the holidays wonderful for your kids.

Blackeyedsue said...

Dang, this is my third time leaving this comment. Dumb internet.

Your pictures are seriously cute. That last one is my FAVORITE! You have some major skilz! What a fun day in spite of the sickies!

Picture Perfect said...

You are so funny! I think you have more creative juices than the whole ward put-together! And "nough" said? The rooms are clean! I don't think I could invite you INSIDE my house! JK! Very cute stuff you did. I'm taking note for next year!:)

Tai said...

I can't believe you still got them all that stuff even with them being sick. I just bagged the whole thing this year. they got some gifts on Sunday morning since I decided to bag the whole thing and not have fun with it this year!! I love em year round, who cares if on valentines Day i didn't give em anything extra special right? You are obviously just waaaayyyy more dedicated than I will ever be!! And I would like to know what mess you are talking about in their room? Looks clean to me!

Andy and Brooke said...

You always do cute stuff for your kids. Hopefully you can shed some of that creative genius over to me and help me when Danika comes along!!! I love those kids and hope they are feeling lots better!

Jenn said...

You always inspire me to want to do cuter things on Holidays. You are the best Hilary. I love and miss you!

Larsens said...

You da mom of the year. I totally missed Valentine's Day by sleeping all day and not getting out of bed. It was SWEET. No gifts, no cake, no new outfits...nothing. The best Valentine's day EVER! Highly recommended.

Candace said...

You're such a sweet mom! The "heart attack" idea is great, I'll have to remember that!

Katherine said...

What a fun day for your kiddos (I won't let my kids. . .or husband for that matter, I didn't do anything for him either see this). You are such a fun mom. and if that room wasn't clean please don't ever look in my kid's rooms. I can't remember when they looked that good.