Friday, February 20, 2009

My Sweet Little Cleaning Fairy

Yes, you read the title right. I now have my own, personal, sweet little cleaning fairy. Her name is Lana.


I have to tell you that the past couple of months, she has been trying SO hard to be such a good girl. She will tell me in the morning, "Mom, I am going to be really good today." And then she does it. She cleans up her messes without being asked, she helps her sisters and brother, she obeys, and is just pleasant to be around.

This morning, I was trying to shower and get ready for the day and, as usual, Hayden and Kate were making messes. As I am starting to blow-dry my hair, sweet little Lana comes in my bathroom and says, "I want you to come see every room." I knew what that meant, and I was so relieved. I am getting some sort of icky something and am just not feeling 100%. So to have my sweet girl surprise me today was such a treat.

I followed her into her room, where she had been playing Barbies earlier today. This is what I found:


Then she was beaming as she opened the door to Hayden's room. She had fixed his covers on his bed because they were already messed up because two little monkeys had been jumping on it after I made it. Hmmm...Wonder who that could be? She even put all of his stuffed animals neatly in the corner of his bed. And, oh no, it doesn't end there...


She then leads me to the family room where there had been a bunch of foamy puzzle pieces all over the floor as well as the pieces to a huge Dora floor puzzle. I wasn't looking forward to sorting through those and putting them away. You know when your head hurts and the dumbest tasks seem so hard? Yeah, that was me this morning. So I was thrilled to find this:
Do you see any puzzle pieces? I don't either. Whew. What a good kid. I gave her a big hug and told her I love her and what a big helper she is. Then I had to go finish my hair before Hayden and Kate ripped all of her hard work apart.
When I got done with my hair, I came out into the kitchen to find my sweet little Lana washing the few sippy cups that were in the sink.

She looked up at me with her big blue eyes when I walked into the kitchen and said, "I'm doing the dishes now!"


She was even smiling as she washed. What a good girl! And check her out! She's obviously observant. She knows that to me the dishes aren't done and the kitchen clean until the sink is washed out and dried.


After she finished her list of jobs that she did for me, she said, "Mom, I wish it was my week so that you could say what you love about me is that I helped you clean." (We all rotate having turns being spotlighted in the family where, among other things, everyone has to say one thing they love about the person being spotlighted after we say family prayers at night.) How cute is she?! I told her it doesn't have to be her week for me to love that about her. I told her I love it about her today even though it isn't her week and that I would blog the pictures so everyone could see what a good girl she was today. She is still beaming.

15 comments:

Katherine said...

OH what a sweet girl. I love that little one of yours. She is darling and she cleans too. Can I adopt her???? You are blessed to have such a sweet little girl.

Blackeyedsue said...

This post had me grinning from ear to ear. I love how happy she looks. It's not a "Ha, look what I did" happy, it's a "I love you so much and I want to make you happy, Mom" look. LOVE IT!!!

And could you send her down my way. I have a house that has had sickies in it for a week and I haven't done a dang thing.

Dianne said...

You give cute little Lana a big hug from me! I love her and all your kids so much. They are all special in their own right. Any time she wants to clean my home send her over!

Jenn said...

AHHH!! She is so SWEET! I love it.

Carrie Snider said...

Wow, I am officially coveting you! What a great kid!

Beth said...

What a nice surprise for you. I hate sorting puzzle pieces. What a good kid you have!

Picture Perfect said...

I dream of the day when I have at least 1 out of my 4 that would do something like that! Let Lana know I'm first to sign up for her children's cleaning classes!

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is one adorable and sweet girl!! Tell her she can come be the cleaning fairy at my house any day! :) WHile she's at it, maybe she can teach my two little girls to follow in her footsteps! :)

Candace said...

What a sweetie! I'll love her just as much if you send her my way!

Mary said...

that is so sweet I only wish grace would do that.

Larsens said...

Can I hire her?

Angie said...

That is the cutest thing ever! What a good girl!! And very good of you to use such positive reinforcement with her by posting pictures! That way, this might not be the last time she tries to please you this way! Such a sweetie!

Candice said...

That is so sweet! Can she please come to my house and teach my kids how to do that? :)

Company EIGHT said...

What a doll!! And I love your girls' bunk beds. My dh is going to make some for my girls before the babies come, and I think I'm going to have him make them just like that! So cute! I may ask you for more pics, if that's okay. :)

April said...

Whoa!! I am more than a little impressed. Does she teach lessons?