Thursday, April 23, 2009

There Are Some Things I Will Never Outgrow...

I was watching The Rookie on TV the other day, and it got me to thinking about how much I used to love playing softball as a kid. I used to LOVE playing it, not because I was any good, but because I just thought it was fun. There was nothing more satisfying than hearing the crack when the bat connected with the ball, or the feeling of catching that fly ball. To this day, I would jump at the chance to get outside and play a game of softball. I guess I never outgrew softball over the years.

Thinking about softball got me thinking about some of the other things that I loved as a kid or a teenager that have carried over into my adult life. Wanna hear some of them? Well, if not then I suggest you stop reading 'cuz I'm going to share. Ready?

~ Toast and Chocolate Milk. Oh, yummy! I still eat this at least once a day. There is something about that buttery flavor and the chocolate milk together that is so good. I now it's not mature or "mom-like" at all to love toast and chocolate milk so much, but oh well.

~ Coloring. I still love to color. I love it when my kids ask me to color them a picture. Sometimes I will color my kids a picture just for the heck of it and leave it for them to find.

~ Music and Dancing. I am by no means a great singer or dancer. I do, however love music. I still love to listen to loud music while I am doing my hair and makeup. When my babies were infants, I used to dance with all of them to put them to sleep. And my dream is to someday learn to play as many different instruments as possible. I can already play the piano, but I would secretly love to jam out on the drums.

~ Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cookie Dough. Need I say more? Give me a hot, home-made chocolate chip cookie and I'm in heaven any day. Let me eat a big blob of dough before the cookies come out of the oven and I'm even happier.

~ Puzzles. I love puzzles. The more pieces the better. I love the puzzles that take hours to put together.

~ Baby Animals. I love baby animals. I wish I could hold one of just about every kind of baby animal. I remember as a kid walking down the road to my friends' farm and helping them feed some of the baby sheep with the bottle. I LOVED it, and I still turn into a pile of goo whenever I see a baby animal.

~ Water fights! I love a good water fight. Rylee was shocked one day when I was doing dishes and pulled out the little water nozzle and sprayed her across the kitchen. I sprayed her until she was good and wet, and we both laughed so hard. And water balloon fights - those are the best! I loved tagging someone with a nice, full water balloon. I'm so excited that summer is right around the corner!

~ Graham Crackers with Chocolate Frosting. YUM-O! The more frosting, the better. Give me a bunch of frosting smushed between two graham crackers, with the frosting oozing out the sides and I'll turn into a ten year old again!

~ Roller Skating/Roller Blading. I remembered how much I used to love it when Bill and I went for a date recently. It is so fun! But do you remember going as a kid? They always had that huge disco ball hanging and they would do the dreaded "boy/girl" skate. I remember bolting out of there so fast to get a snack so I didn't have to hold an icky boy's hand to skate. :)

~ Tossing popcorn in the air and catching it in my mouth. Why is that still so much fun? My kids think I'm awesome when I show off my skills.

~ BYU. I love BYU, and it's not because I went there. I just grew up going to BYU basketball games with my dad and then football games too when I was in Junior High and High School. I am bound and determined to make my kids avid BYU fans as well (much to Bill's dismay - hehe!) I sing the BYU fight song to my kids from birth. They WILL know the fight song. It's very important.

~ Fireworks and the 4th of July. As a kid, I think I liked the 4th of July so much because it was so close to my birthday. Now, I just love everything about it - the parades, the BBQs, the fireworks, the water parties, the patriotism...EVERYTHING. It is by far my favorite holiday. There is nothing about it I don't like.

~ I'm going to admit something I probably shouldn't here. But here it goes. I have never outgrown a really funny crass joke. For some reason, I still bust a gut when I hear a crass joke. I really need to grow up, but I just don't see it happening...

~ Lik-A-Stix. Do you know what I'm talking about? Yep, those little white sticks that you dip into the powder that is straight sugar. I still love those things.

~ Okay, last but certainly not least. (It's just all I can think of or dare to admit right now.) I still LOVE a good campfire with s'mores and the silly girls' camp songs. I may need to take my kids camping this year just to let them experience the atmosphere while I teach them all of those goofy songs. Tippy Canoe anyone?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has things I loved as a kid that have carried over into adulthood. I want to hear some of yours! So share!

10 comments:

Jenn said...

OOH!! I LOVE SO MANY OF THOSE THINGS...Toast and Cocoa (I used to eat them all the time with my favorite cousin at my Grandma'). Lik a Stix (in fact I put some of those in Alyssa's party favor bags for her birthday and ate ALL the leftovers, and as you know ROLLER SKATING which I still do all the time. That is why it is so important that we build great traditions with our kids so they will have those great memories and love those things when they get older (like you are so good at doing with your cute holiday traditions). YOU are AWE-SOME! LOVE YA HIL!

Company EIGHT said...

Great post Hilary! I also love so many of the things that you listed--I know I'm a big kid at heart!

Dianne said...

I, too, love baseball, s'mores, and frosting and graham crackers. But you also got me remembering how much fun hop scotch is, jacks, jump rope, hula hoop and running on a farm. What a fun post! No pictures needed, the mind did it all.

Tai said...

I just wanna play Brittany and Brett and hide under the pool with our little kittys!! One o'clock, two o'clock three o'clock rock... How about stupid idiotic jerk off!! Sometimes there is still nothing better than calling the car in front of you that!! I still love to play school with my kids. Remember those stupid workbooks? Do you still have them????? Love the post!!

Mariel said...

Wow! Nice to meet you, you're family is adoreable! Bill and I were good friends in highschool. It's fun to see his family and that he is so happy! Fun blog!

Mariel
www.oneshetwoshe.com

and my family one...
www.wangsgards.blogspot.com

Curtis and Jen said...

So I remember the good old days when i use to live at your house in the summer. We had toast and chocolate milk every morning. You started getting way into country dancing and taught us some moves. We ended up laughing so hard doing those extreme movements... I remember sorta loosing control of my bladder-Yikes:)

Claudia said...

Toast and chocolate milk ( I had some while reading your blog, what about that? :)
I love puzzles, coloring and chocolate chip cookies!
I guess having children is a good thing, we can keep doing the things we love!
Claudia

Katherine said...

What a fun post. I need to do something like this sometime. My kiddos would love it!

I have a great puzzle I have been dying to do. I would love your help but this is NOT a puzzle to get done in a few hours. I worked on it for about a week (I'm the only one who likes puzzles at my house) Then my family got sick of not eating at the table and I had to put it away. I need a puzzle table.

I may have liked softball as a kid if I ever heard the crack of the ball hitting the bat. or even if I had ever caught a ball. I am no good at sports.

Kim said...

What an awesome post, Hil! I remember you pretty much liking all of those things when you were still living in Aurora. It's fun to know that some things never change and that you are still the Hilary I grew up with!

Amy said...

Cookie dough - Yum!