Monday, September 29, 2008

Fair Trade?

Yesterday at church we tried, yet again, to get Hayden to go to nursery. All of our kids have had issues going to nursery. (For a while, Lana hated it so bad that she would get physically sick if we took her to nursery.) But when they are just about three, they kind of just snap out of it and decide nursery isn't so bad.

So, we tried with Hayden to no avail. He would play and have fun as long as me or Bill was in there with him, but as soon as we left, the screaming started. It didn't help that there were like 18 kids in there and only two adults. Not great odds there. So we both went in there for a while and had Kate in there too.

Kate LOVED it in there. She got right down and played and didn't care where we were. I really think they need to let kids go to nursery at 15 months. All of my kids would have done great in there at 15 months, but by 18 months the good old separation anxiety has set in and there is no shot at leaving them.

We finally decided that there were just way too many kids in there and not enough adults and that they whole thing was just chaos, so we picked up the two kids to leave. Funny thing happened. Hayden got all excited to leave and Kate threw a major fit. She really wanted to stay in there.

So, I'm thinking....Is it a fair trade to leave Kate in there even though she isn't 18 months yet and keep Hayden out for a few months? Okay, I know that won't work, but I wish they would consider a happy 15 month old in exchange for a fit-throwing-two-year-old a fair trade.

*Sigh* I just really hate nursery. Maybe Bill and I just need to be called to nursery. We're having our own nursery in the hall at church every week anyway.

13 comments:

Picture Perfect said...

Be careful what you wish for!!! JK! I know it's rough. That's irritating that there were only 2 adults in there. There should have been more. They're supposed to grab someone if they don't have enough. We'll make sure things are better on the Sunday after conference.

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

I am SO with you on this!!! I snuck Ava into nursery a time or two when she was about 16 months and she could have cared less about where I was and what I was doing, but now...we head down that hall way and it's as if I'm leading her to the slaughter.

Larsens said...

I think we have 3 kids in our nursery. You should really ask for a calling in the nursery. It will be easier for all of you.

Laurie said...

I'm with you on this one! I think that they need to reevaluate the nursery in the church.

They should have a younger class starting at 15months. B/c most kids do better at this age and the parents need it at this point.

They should also rethink when kids are old enough for Sunbeams. It is hard on kids to go from snacks and fun. To a 2 hour, no snack just listen idea.

I really don't think it was woman that came up with these ideas.

Angie said...

Oh man... this is what I have to look forward to in November!!! I have no doubt that Owen will hate it. Brian took him in for a few minutes yesterday and well... let's just say he was a little timid. And after about 10 minutes he walked to the door and started pointing that he wanted to leave. Good luck with Hayden and wish us luck with Owen!!

Anonymous said...

Sigh... we have the same problem at our house too. I hate nursery too! It's supposed to be a great thing for parents, but for me it's just not! Hope it gets better for you!! Oh and in answer to your question... I totally think it's a fair trade. :)

Tai said...

I totally think you should just leave Kate in there and don't even ask. They won't even notice her if she is a good girl. Might as well let them go when they want to. Maybe Hayden would do better in there if Kate was going to stay too. I hate the whole nursery thing. I would just leave him in there and let him cry it out. Then maybe they would get some more help in there... or getting a calling to nursery might help also.

Heidi said...

i say make the trade! I have long been an advocate for a 15-18 month old nursery! If only I could make all the decisions...

Katherine said...

When Alex was at that age our nursery leader aproached me and asked if I would mind letting her come a few months early. Not because they needed more kids in there but because she recognised that it made an easier transition.

It's not just hard on the parents when a kid doesn;t want to be there. the teacher has to deal with the fits or resort to taking them to mom.

Since Alex and Kirsti were both able to go at 15 months and the rest all waited till 18, I can really see the benifit in starting younger. Bialee hated any thing to do with going to class until she was 7. It really sucks to have a 7 yr old screaming like a two year old in the halls because they don't want you to leave.

I feel your pain.

Blackeyedsue said...

When Amelia was 14 mos, Jer and I both had Sunday callings. He was the Primary Pianist and I was in the YW pres with no advisors. The primary president let me send Amelia early. She was my easiest by far...since I only have two. My second was okay because Lana was in there.

Good thing Sophie has Kate. Phew! Where is that little boy I was supposed to have when Hayden was born???

Andrea said...

Eek. Maybe he doesn't like it because there is so much chaos? I know it would make me fussy :).

We have had this problem at Sunday School and MOPS and there never seems to be an easy solution. You want to leave them there and let them get used to it, but you don't want to have "the" screaming child that is stressing out the others.

Ashley said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. Parker hates going to nursery. He cries and hides under the table the whole time. I don't know what to do to stop it. Its pretty dumb. Oh well what am i going to do?

Anonymous said...

my kids all love nursery till 2 1/2 then they wig out.