Tuesday, September 30, 2008

We Are Such Good Friends

Okay, ever since we moved into this neighborhood, my girls have been inseparable from their buddies Amelia and Tess down the street. So they have kind of been raised like sisters. They know our rules, my kids know theirs (not that there is even much difference between the two), I am comfortable talking to those sweet girls and Stephanie is just as comfortable with my girls. We have done so much together. We carpool, the big girls walk to school together, we buy matching outfits for them once in a while, we have late nights for them...You get the picture. They are always together. So let me illustrate how you can tell when you are really good friends with a neighbor:

Last week I was making tear bread for dinner. Amelia, Rylee, Hayden, and Lana were all hovering while I was making the bread. There is something so fascinating about rolling out bread dough and cutting it into little circles, dipping those circles in butter and then dipping that into cinnamon sugar. It was so funny to watch their faces. They all kept trying to get a little taste of bread dough or cinnamon sugar. So when I was finished and my fingers were covered in cinnamon sugar and butter I asked the kids if they wanted to lick my fingers. Rylee licked one and then I asked Amelia if she wanted to. Without even batting an eye, she came over and licked my finger. I busted up! I couldn't believe that she didn't even think twice about licking my finger. It is flattering that she is that comfortable over here though.

Okay, now for the really embarrassing story:

Yesterday, Tess was over here playing with Lana (I know, what a shock!) It was cleaning day, so I hadn't showered yet. I fed them lunch, got them entertained and told them I needed to take a quick shower. Oh yeah, you know what's coming. I am washing my face, so I have my eyes closed when I hear Lana come in the bathroom saying, "Mom." I finish washing my face and open my eyes to see that Tess is halfway in the bathroom as well. I am laughing and saying, "Hey, you girls go out, quick!" They both just stood completely still and Lana looked at me like, "What is the problem, Mom?" Finally I got them both to go out and I hopped out as fast as I could and thought, "Great, I get to make THIS phone call." Aw man.

So I called Stephanie and apologized for ruining her daughter for life. Luckily she just laughed and was okay with it. I feel horrible though. But honestly, I am surprised it hasn't happened already because the girls practically live together. (I am just glad I was taking a hot shower, so the steam helped mute things - I know, I am just trying to make myself feel better about the whole thing.)

I guess you can say that you are really good friends when your neighbor's daughter licks cinnamon sugar off your finger and the other one has seen you in the shower.

14 comments:

Picture Perfect said...

That's funny! The girls probably thought nothing of it though. I would have felt the same way when you're that good of friends!

Candace said...

That cracks me up! I guess nothing is sacred right!?

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

yeay for steam!

Katherine said...

Remind me some time about the what my nephew said to me along those lines when he was about that age.
It's a long story, but well, just call me sometime when you nee a good laugh.

Blackeyedsue said...

And I am still laughing.

Seriously, I didn't give it a second thought until you called me and told me you blogged it.

It's even better that she came home and never said a word. You don't have a thing to worry about.

Andrea said...

Everyone wants a friend that you can share evvvverything with-you two are so lucky! :)

And hey-the shower event is much better than a toilet episode. It's better for all of those involved :D

Jenn said...

Oh that's not a big deal!!! She's so young! She probably never even thought about it again-you are probably the only one scarred!! So funny!

Larsens said...

Very funny, but I have a funny and embarrassing story too, not about me. Years and years ago, when my friends in Finland were having sex late at night, their three daughters and their friend who was having a sleepover at their house tip-toed into the bedroom and in the middle of "everything" the mom and dad sensed something was in the room, and they looked up and at the foot of the bed they saw 4 faces.
Would you like to make THAT phone call?

Tai said...

Okay so I am laughing my guts out right now. I think that is the most hilarious embarrassing moment ever. Nothing like getting caught with your pants down. Or something like that.

Cami said...

For safety sake, I changed my blog name to http://camboslife.blogspot.com/. Come find me still!

Monkey Fingers and Toes said...

That is awesome. I have decided once you are married, you lose a lot of privacy. But when you have kids, you lose all privacy.

Ashley said...

That is a great story! I think the most important thing is that you did not make the girls feel that awkward. At least it was a girl and not a boy! hahaha! That is so funny!

Heidi said...

Oh, a little nudity does a girl good :)

Company EIGHT said...

those are great stories, and they totally made me laugh! it's so wonderful to have good friends--both for you and your girls!