Monday, September 15, 2008

A Welcome Change

Our church has been at 1:00 in the afternoon for the longest time now. For the past three years, every time it is our turn to have an earlier church time, the ward boundaries get changed and we get stuck with 1:00 again.

WELL NOT ANY MORE!!!! Our stake decided to change the church schedules with the school year rather than the calendar year and guess when we go to church as of yesterday? 9:00 am!!! Woo Hoo! I am so excited! Do you know how nice it is to be done with church by noon? I would go to church at 7:00 in the morning just to get it over with by 10:00 if I could. I know, I shouldn't talk about church like that (getting it "over with" and all), but the joy I find in church while wrestling four kids is very limited.

But now - oh how I love this schedule! We are up and off to church and home by noon. This means all afternoon to do whatever the heck we want!!! Our kids came home and took naps, I made home-made French bread to go with dinner, and tried a new recipe of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies (and ate half the dough by myself.) After we ate, we played with the kids on the floor (horsie rides on daddy, "knuck" wars with Hayden, jump rope practice with Rylee, etc.) Then grandma came for a visit and helped entertain the kids. Then when she left we went on a walk as a family and still had two hours until bed time. WOW! I love this!

Now I just may have to get used to having so much time to kill on Sunday afternoon. I guess we can always eat more!:) I'm always up for trying new dessert recipes. Or Bill could actually attempt getting his home teaching done, but where's the fun in that? Watch more football? (Bill had the games on all afternoon while he was helping with the kids - hey, it's okay with me if he is helping too!) I actually miss the Sundays when Rylee was a baby when Bill and I would watch the 49ers play (they stink now, so that might not be as much fun.)

What do you all do with a Sunday afternoon? We haven't had this for so long that I almost don't know what to do with myself (this is a good thing though!) What a nice change. For once, we didn't get the short end of the stick when it comes to church schedules!!!

15 comments:

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

oh I am with you. It was glorious. We came home and had tomato soup and grilled cheese, then Ava took her nap. Chris had time to do some homework before we headed out to his mom's for our weekly sunday get together. It was so much less stressful. It used to be come home, change, rush out to hooper and Ava got no nap. this is so much more relaxing.

Tai said...

I love having 9:00 church. It is so nice to have the rest of the day to just hang out and veg!! You need to come hang out with us on a Sunday afternoon!!

Amy said...

Are you a morning person?

Jenn said...

Whoo Hoo!! It is going to be a nice LONG day for you girl. We start at 8am in January and then you can give me advice on what to do........I actually love our late church because we can stay up late Saturday partying (L.O.L.) you know how I am such a party girl.

I L.O.V.E. your updated pics of the kids and new Fall-tastic background.

Love ya girl.

Larsens said...

Take a nap, read a book, nap, and watch football. And that's after ALL of the meetings I have to attend.

Katherine said...

OH YEAH! I love the early church. We can actually be on time for 9:00 church easier than for the 1:00. we get up get ready and go.

We also have a rule at our house when we have the 9:00 schedual. After church everyone helps get dinner ready (this week the kids cut up potatos for scalloped potatos) then as soon as everything is in the oven that needs to be everyone takes a nap. including me yeah! The house has to be quiet for three hours you can read a book if you can't sleep but you can't play. I love it. When were all up we eat an early dinner then we love to play games together. Sometimes we invite people over and sometimes it's just us 9usually it depends on how messy the house got on Saturday) but we love it. sometimes we'll have some snacks while we play games depending on how big of a meal we had for dinner. I love it, love it, love it, Sundays feel so much happier when we can relax instead of rushing to get things done after church.

Blackeyedsue said...

OH! I LOVE how Katherine thinks! We have been doing well on the nap part! It makes the day so much more pleasant...if only Sophie's first nap didn't start at 9:30. Sigh!

Company EIGHT said...

This is our schedule too, and I LOVE it. I have to get the kids ready by myself due to early meetings, but it's worth it to get home so early. Yay for you!!

Angie said...

I would love to tell you what to do with a wonderful Sunday afternoon BUT we don't go to church until 2:00!! Aggg!! So by the time we get home it's already bedtime! I say just enjoy the day not having to go or do anything and definately make new desserts!!

Andrea said...

We have relaxed Sundays as well. Most local places are closed on Sundays, so we nap, read, grill, play board games, etc. After a busy week and games and errands on Saturday-it is so welcome!

Enjoy your weekends now! :)

Candace said...

Love the new time change! We came home and all napped as well. It was great! I'm with Sue on the nap thing, Kade's starts at 10:00 so he was just a bit awnry when we got home!

Anonymous said...

Yay for early morning church!! We have the 9:00 schedule too and LOVE it!! I'm w/ you on the "getting it over with" part. :) We had the 1:00 one for the 1st year and a half of Savannah & Kylie's life and let's just say we left church A LOT after the 1st hour. I know, I know not good, but w/ 2 little babies who were SO tired and grumpy it was a must.
I am sad to give up our 9:00 in January. :(

Sara Jennings said...

Hey, I have 9:00 church down here in Salt Lake too! Imagine that! We need to visit some Sunday afternoon! I miss you guys! And you have so many comments on all of your posts! It's crazy! I have like 2, sometimes 3! And they're you and Tai! haha! Oh well, I love it! But yeah... Sunday afternoon... you, me, anyone else who wants to party! I'll bring cookies or something! Oh... and I made your chocolate chip cookies for my sorority one day and now I'm in charge of bringing them every week! haha! I'll let you take the credit for that one! Love ya Hil! :)

Picture Perfect said...

I welcome the change, maybe the Primary kids will be not as restless. Not to mention during the 1:00 time it was sooo hot! Change is good!

April said...

I have had 9:00am church since Jan '04 (maybe before that even, I don't remember what time that ward started). We lived in a ward that had eternal 9:00 church (that's what happens when the building is only big enough for one ward at a time, and the other ward that uses the building is a singles ward). I hated it! Then again Greta and I were not early risers. That didn't happen until our recent move, and we're still at 9:00.