Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Lana Darlin'!!!

Our sweet little red-head is a big five year old. Lana is such a sweetheart and as I said in the last post, she is trying so hard to be a good girl all day, every day. She melts my heart and she is my little buddy lately. She loves to be with me and I love having her company. Her giggle makes me laugh and her sweetness makes my day.


Since she is turning five, she got to have her first "real" birthday party. She wanted to have a princess party, and so a princess party it was!

Last Friday, we had a house full of lovely princesses! Lana dressed up as her favorite princess, Snow White. I had to laugh because her hair is SO the opposite of Snow White's jet black hair, but she looked darling anyway.

Since Lana was dressed up as Snow White, we did a variety of games with a Snow White sort of theme. We played a "Poison Apple" game that is played much like hot potato. The girls passed the apple around the circle as we played princess music. When the music stopped, the princess left holding the apple was "out," but to prevent big princess tears, we let them pick a prize when they were out. It was a lot of fun. They wanted to play this game over and over and over again.

Then we played a game where I gave each little princess a wrapped gift. They sat in a circle and I read the story of Snow White. Each time I said "Snow White" they had to pass their gift one princess to the left. Then at the end of the story, they got to open the present they were holding. They loved it! (Notice my brother, Prince Charming, hanging out on the couch - probably wishing he could have a present too!)


I had to chuckle when Lana was opening her gifts. Those girls were piled in as close to her as they could. So I held the camera above them and snapped a shot just to see if I could even see the floor in front of Lana, or if it would be a bunch of little princess hair-dos! Yep, that's what I thought. :)


Although the girls were lovely princesses, we had to let them get out their female aggression in a productive manner by beating the crap out of a pinata. Yes, you do see pull strings on this pinata, but where's the fun in that? C'mon, even dainty girls love getting out a bat and whacking something open - especially if there is candy inside!


See, look at Rylee and that concentration on her face. Better get out of the way when she swings!
We had a lot of fun at Lana's party, and thank you to all of the sweet princesses who came to help her celebrate. They were all adorable!

Now, fast forward to today (her REAL birthday!) She woke up this morning to decorations and presents. She was so excited!



It wouldn't be a birthday in our family unless there are at least a couple of extra sets of hands helping with the presents! This picture cracks me up because Lana looks so excited, Hayden just can't get the paper off fast enough, and Rylee looks so intense. Lana loved all of her gifts, and has been playing with them all day.


Of course, she had to have a new birthday outfit. I LOVE her in this turquoise blue color. I had so much fun picking out this outfit. The brown skirt, little white leggings, pretty shirt, and flip-flops just seem so cheery! I LOVE her birthday because it is just on the verge of spring, so I can buy her flip-flops, skirts, and short sleeve shirts. Here she is looking so old (boo) in her new outfit. At least her favorite hairdo is two braids, and that is what she requested today. That keeps her looking a bit more like a little girl.



Happy Birthday, sweetie. We love you and all of your personality and sweetness so much!


9 comments:

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

that is such a darling outfit!! yeay happy birthday Lana. I tried really hard to convince Simon March 2 is the best day to be born...but i guess he wants you to have the day all to yourself ;)

Katherine said...

I so love that little girl! when you are done with her will you send her little red head over here for me to keep? such a cutie. I secretly hoped we would end up with one red-headded little one after all Mike had red hair until he was 5. No such luck. missed out on the dark kaired one too. Oh well I love the ones I have.

Jenn said...

She is soooooooooooo darling. I'll never forget when you called me to tell me she was born!! What a fun birthday party!! She is the prettiest Red Headed Snow White Ever!

Larsens said...

Happy Birthday Lana! What a great party you had for her. You are very creative. She is so sweet!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Lana! I love her red hair!!

Curtis and Jen said...

Sounds like you know how to throw a serious party Hillary. I will have to remember that one. Jaycie will definatly get one of those. Btw Jaycie might be another cousin with red hair! Exciting news:) Her hair has some red in it!

Picture Perfect said...

Happy Birthday "little Red!" I am so jealous of your creative juices Hilary!!! Send 'em my way!

Company EIGHT said...

Oh my goodness, is she ever cute! We love red hair in our family too. :) What a FUN party--I loved the pic of all the little princess hair-dos.

Sara Jennings said...

Aw!!! I miss you guys!! Tell Lana a late Happy Birthday from me! :)