Monday, March 10, 2008

St. Patrick's Day

I write this post for two reasons...

The first reason is to share a cute idea.

The second is to get more ideas. Selfish, yes, but I need some help or my kids will figure out who the real leprechauns are.

Last year I came across this idea on Family Fun. I saved the little story, so just in case any of you want it, here it goes:

"This St. Patrick's Day, let your child in on a well-guarded secret and start a new family tradition in the process. The fun begins with the leprechauns and leads to a treasure box filled with goodies and gifts. Here's what to do. On the day before the holiday read aloud the following tale:

Full of magic a trickery, the leprechauns remain in their hidden world until the night before St. Patrick's Day. On that one night of the year they appear throughout the world to dance and sing and frolic.

Disguising themselves as leaves and grass, and sounding like the wind and crickets, they come and go unnoticed, but sometimes they drop coins or jewels on the way.

However, it is said that if a decorated treasure box is left empty under the moon, the leprechauns must fill the box with gold or jewels or gifts. But then they will hide the box in the most unlikely places.

If the box is found on St. Patrick's Day, the treasure remains in our world. If not, the leprechauns may retrieve what is rightfully theirs. And though the leprechauns are very clever, it is not impossible to find the treasure because, unknowingly, leprechauns often leave a trail of greenery behind them.

Now, have your child decorate an empty shoe box or tissue box with paints, glitter glue or stickers. If he/she tries to bargain for a bigger box, tell them leprechauns are tiny and if they can't reach the top of the box, it will remain empty. Just before bed, he/she should place the finished box on a window sill where the moon will shine on it.

Once he/she is sound asleep, the resident leprechauns can fill the box will small treasures, such as foil-covered chocolate coins, costume jewelry, or a bag of marbles, and then hide it in a special place. All that's left to do is lay a trail of green leaves or paper shamrocks from the windowsill to the box. Your child may even enjoy the challenge of several trails to follow, some with dead ends (you know, the trickery of leprechauns!)"

Whew, that was a long type! So, anyways, we did this last year with a few modifications. Here are our adventures from last year:

First, we made the boxes. I covered them with green wrapping paper, and then let the kids go to town with all sorts of stuff. They had lots of fun. So this is the boxes from last year. (I kept them just in case I am too lazy to do the project again.)


Then I read the story to the kids and put them to bed the night before St. Patrick's Day. They were so excited!


The next morning, instead of leaves all over, there were trails of gold coins leading to the boxes, which were hidden in the bathtub with this rainbow I found at a party supply store hanging on the wall. (You know, treasure at the end of the rainbow!)



The kids thought that was great! They loved finding their boxes filled with goodies. It was lots of fun. Then we had even more fun playing leprechaun throughout the day. Here is where I need your help! I need more sneaky things I can do this year!



Last year, I carried green food coloring in my pocket and put some in the toilet and used a paint stick to stir the water so it had "Leprechaun pee" in the toilet. The kids thought that was hysterical. It was even more funny when our real little leprechaun named Hayden got a handful of the gold coins and threw them in the toilet when no one was looking. It really made the girls fall for it because they knew where Bill and I were and that we couldn't have possible done it. Classic!



Then while we were all outside in the yard, I ran in the house and to the backyard where we had the little kids' table. I made a fist and painted the pinkie side of both of my hands (make sense) and dabbed them on the table, adding little toe marks with my finger so it looked like the leprechauns had run across their table. See below picture:




I then quickly washed my hands and went back outside and the kids were shocked to go outside for a picnic to find the footprints. They tried so hard all day to "catch" the leprechauns. Rylee even made a sign to go on the bathroom door with a picture of a leprechaun and a circle with a line through it and it said "STOP" at the top to try to stop the leprechauns from peeing in her bathroom. So when they peed in the master bathroom, she was busting a gut. Cutest laugh!

If you really want to go nuts, you can have green homemade bread, green twice-baked potatoes, green jell-o, green salad, and a white cake with white frosting sprayed with air brush frosting in the Irish flag (really easy to do). It is fun. See, I am trying to like St. Patrick's Day and make it something other than "Pinching Day" (I hate that!)

So if any of you out there have any fun ideas we could do to be sneaky little leprechauns, let me know! I only have a week to come up with more ideas! And if you do any of these fun little things, I would love to hear about it!

8 comments:

Debbie said...

I love your ideas! They will for sure be copied at our house this year! Thanks. Last year we happened to be camping so the clean up of what we did wasn't such a big deal: I sprinkled green glitter all over the place where the Lep's had been as if it was their little magic trail that they had left behind. I am not so sure I am loving the idea of cleaning up green glitter from around my house this year - we will see. ;-) I also (VERY carefully I might add) took a bit of green glitter glue and dabbed it on the kids' faces while they were sleeping so when they woke up they could see the kisses the Leprechauns had left on their cheeks and noses during the night. They had fun with that one, but it was tricky to get the "kisses" on them without waking anybody up!

Larsens said...

Wow! You are the master of ideas. I got nothing for you. Sorry. We have never celebrated St. Patrick's day in our house. Yes, I'm boring.

Jenn said...

AWESOME!!!! Let the TRADITION BEGIN! My kids are going to LOVE IT!!!! Thankyou so much! Family Fun is the best and you are the BEST for sharing this! You are such a great Mom!!!

Shannon said...

I have no ideas to add but I do have a very funny story for you. When my sister was 17 my parents decided that it would be fun to spray paint our hair so that when we woke up on St. Patrick's Day we had green hair. My sister (remember she was a teenager) was furious. She had showered the night before to save time and she ended up being late (for the first and only time ever) because she had to shower to get all the green out. I was only ten and I didn't care. I thought it was great! My mom always made green pancakes and green orange juice and then we had sandwiches on green homemade bread.

Watts Family said...

So I think that you are so creative. I went out to the Peppermint Place candy store in Alpine and I bought a bunch of St. Patrick's day themed candy. I am stealing your idea and trying it out this year. Why not use an entire roll of green streamers as a trail because that is extremely easy to clean up... I am planning on making green sugar cookies because Daxon loves to help bake. Let me know what new ideas that you come up with.

Amy said...

I think that you have some wonderful ideas for St. Patrick's day. I usually do not do anything special for the smaller holidays, but after reading your post I am going to celebrate! My kids will love it.

Blackeyedsue said...

You are way more ambitious than I am. I love how you do this with your kids though. Seriously, I think my kids want to trade me for you!

Andrea said...

Wow-you are super creative with this holiday. How fun!!

I just make sure the school kids are wearing green so they don't get pinched at school. I think St. Pats is a holiday where I am a serious slacker.