Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm Trying To Be Cool...

...Before this hectic week is over and I turn into a mean mommy again.

Yesterday I got this crazy idea to make a pumpkin cake for dessert. My dang camera batteries were dying, so I didn't get cute pictures of the kids eating the cake. I had my sister and her family over for dessert and we had a good time. So, along with my one dang picture of the cake just picture six little girls and two sweet little boys playing dress-ups, having tea parties, and a bloody nose or two and you have our get-together.


Yep, there's me being festive (or attempting it!) But I am trying to be a good mom and have fun with the kids. Trying is the key word here.

And wanna hear what else? Stephanie and I checked out our girls from school today and took them to see HSM3. The girls have been dying to see it and were so excited that it came out over the weekend. So, what's a mom to do when her daughter wants to see a movie, but mommy is too lazy to fight crowds to get tickets on the opening day? Yep, you check them out of school and go when the theater is dead! So, we surprised them today and did just that. This is the four of them just before we left the school.


And in the parking lot before we left to go to Maverik on the way to the theater (so we could buy drinks to sneak in, of course!) They are so darling!

And now, I think I need to save my "good mommy" energy. I have a week that includes a Halloween parade on Thursday, followed by Lana's preschool Halloween thing that same morning. Then the actual Halloween day with all of its sugar is just enough to make this mommy tired and grumpy. I will put on a smile and keep trying to be a cool mommy for the rest of the week and have a festive spirit.

Then I get to welcome my old, grumpy mommy self back next week.:) No more being fun and festive until Thanksgiving.

15 comments:

Jenn said...

You are just too cool HIl! You're my Hero! I love how you told the receptionist and everything. They are lot cooler about that thing in Utah I think.

Thanks for the call! You're the best! I love talking to you!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. I couldn't do it with my kids though, I'd just feel too guilty LOL

April said...

You are such a fun Mom!

I am hoping to come over Friday.... after I drive up to Logan. Yuck.

April said...

BTW, the yuck is only about the drive and why I have to go. But you knew that. :)

Andrea said...

Cute cake! How did you make the stem?

HSM3 already! That means the girls will be bugging me soon to go and see it.

I hear ya on the upcoming busy week. My hubby managed to schedule himself to leave this week for the States for a month(training course) leaving me with Halloween, parent conferences and preparations for Ash's birthday and Thanksgiving. Niiiice. :0)

Andrea said...

I finished the Tagged Meme! Yay!

Company EIGHT said...

darling cake, and fun movie day with your girls! you are a good mom! :)

Katherine said...

I hope my kiddos don't find out what you guys did. They will be highly disappointed in their boring mommy who told them they had to wait for the DVD.

Your cake looks awesome! It doesn't even feel like a holiday for me. I havn't got to do anything festive with the kids. I can't wait until Thanksgiving. I'll be festive then.

Larsens said...

cute cake!
I'm taking Alex and Elle tonight to see HSM3. Should be fun.

Tai said...

Thanks for having us over for that yummy cake. It was very cute and festive. I think you are a great mom and that was so fun for you to take your girls there. I think that was much better than opening night!!

Angie said...

Was that cake as delicious as it looks! I'm way impressed and I doubt you are ever a grouchy mom, it's not your personality!!

Picture Perfect said...

Are you ever going to burn yourself out? I'm not even close to making something fun right now! I haven't even seen High School Musical, do I dare admit that?

Anonymous said...

Love the cake and love that you took your girls out of school and gave them such an awesome surprise. My mom used to do fun things like that with me too and it was great! You ARE a great mom!

Dianne said...

Congratulations on the cute cake! You take a lot of pride and joy in your children, and it shows. You and your husband are great parents and I am very blessed to know you and follow your example in so many ways!

Drostan and Jennifer said...

I think the cake turned out adorable! Great job! Can I join you in the grumpy mommy party? I think I could use a few weeks off. :-)