Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mother's Day - Edited!!!

Okay, I did have a post on here that was about how horrible of a mom I always feel like on Mother's Day because I feel like I will never be as good of a mom as every other mom around me. Delete, delete, delete... I aired some dirty laundry and tried to make it light and kind of poke fun at myself. Delete, delete, delete. But when I re-read it this morning, it seemed really negative - not the way I intended for it to come across. Delete, delete, delete.

So, to set the record straight...Mother's Day isn't my favorite holiday because I have the normal woman syndrome of beating myself up for being imperfect and then convincing myself that I have failed my kids. But, hey, what mom hasn't screwed their kids up in one way or another?

Secondly, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about Bill or the kids. They try so hard to make Mother's Day special for me. And I know that Bill is trying extra hard this year, so I don't want to undermine his efforts. He is awesome and the kids are so sweet - they have been coloring pictures for me all week and are so excited for Mother's Day. It really is cute.

I guess I just need to stop thinking that my poor kids got the short end of the stick when it comes to their mom and just keep doing the best I can.

So that is what I wish for all moms this Mother's Day: Just be content and happy with the mom you are and be grateful you have been sent your sweet kids because you can't be completely worthless if you are called "Mom" by a sweet kid.

9 comments:

Larsens said...

Well....first of all, life is not a competition. I never understood peer pressure, or "keeping up with the Jones'". I can totally say that I'm not swayed by pressure from the outside world. That means that I can be myself, at all times. I know who I am, and I don't have to compete with anybody for anything.
I actually love Mother's Day because that's one day of the year, I get pampered: breakfast in bed, flowers, presents, dinner that I don't have to cook etc. (I guess this happens on my birthday too). I like celebrating women because we are incredible. We take on so many things that men couldn't handle, and we do this because we love our husbands and kids.
I've also learned that when you are speaking in anger with kids, the words stay forever in their minds. Even though you said it without meaning it, they don't know the difference. You end up making up for those words for the rest of your life.

And stop putting yourself down. All mothers/women have different talents and strenghts. You are a great mom, Hil.
So there.

Anonymous said...

Why do we, as mom's, always put ourselves down and think we are horrible mothers?! I do that too. You are a great mom and you deserve to be celebrated on Mother's Day!! So Happy Early Mother's Day to a WONDERFUL mom!!!

LiteralDan said...

I hope one day you can see what a good mother you surely are, and that you can truly relax and enjoy Mother's Day without that (undeserved) guilt!

Jenn said...

HILARY! You are so funny. I just love ya! You're like one of my role models so enough of that silly stuff! Everytime I look at your family's picture (I keep it in my scriptures) I always feel happy! You are the best!

Anonymous said...

Mother's Day is a hard day. I wish I could just sit back and enjoy it too without the guilt.

I hope it turns our all right for you!

Andrea said...

You are a fab mother! I understand completely where you were coming from (I read the original-hehe). I think as you get older, you will care less what others think. That's what has happened with me. I say to myself "Blah-who cares what they think".

Larsens had a rminder for me. I've had soem ugly mommy moments and some ugly words to go with them lately. I wish I could take them back.

I still am on the fence about feeling celebratory this year. I can't quite put my finger on it-hormones? Stress? Missing the familiars?

I see LiteralDan made a visit from my blog. He's quite funny and sarcastic. :) A man-mom perspective.

Heidi said...

Man, do I feel ya! I just had a long conversation with my friend about this. You are awesome!

Laurie said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

You are a fabulous mom. You have four amazing children and a wonderful husband. They all love you very much.

I know how you feel! It doesn't always feel like we get enough credit for our responsibility as a Mother.

It is easy sometimes to hold ourselves to someone else's standards. We create a lot of unnecessary guilt.

We have been given an amazing gift from our Heavenly Father. We must cherish it, honor it and enjoy OUR DAY.

Don't worry so much about what others can do. "Shine" in your talents and gifts.

SMILE!!!

Blackeyedsue said...

Well...you already know how I feel about this subject.

And can I just say I am SO glad this year wasn't a bomb. You deserve the BEST! I have never meet a better mother than you. Everyone who has met you is better for having known you.