Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This Is Me Eating Crow...

I have to eat some serious crow. You see, I always talk about how much I HATE Mother's Day because I feel like a failure all day and feel worthless...


Well, this year was WONDERFUL! Bill let me sleep in a bit - always a good way to start a day! (I have to say, though, that he is pretty good about letting me sleep in longer than normal most weekends while he gets up with the kids.) So when I woke up, the kids were dying to give me their presents! (So was Bill!)


First of all, I got Lana's gift that she made for me at pre-school: A cute picture of her at preschool in a frame she decorated herself. Love it! I still have Rylee's on my dresser that she made when she was in pre-school! They are precious!



Then I got Rylee's gift that she made for me at school: A cute little flower pot that they decorated themselves, and the pot was filled with beans and the cute little pens wrapped like flowers. She even made sure I took one of the pens with me to church! So sweet!



Then I opened more from the kids. Each girl picked out a shirt for me at Old Navy, and then Bill got me a pair of flip-flops to match each shirt from the two little ones.



Then, I opened a card from Bill telling me to open the last present, but to stop when I got the paper off. So I did. It was a jewelry box (I have been needing one forever!)




I then continued to read the card, which told me to start opening the drawers in the middle starting at the top, but to not open the bottom one. So I started opening, and there was nothing in the top two drawers - silly husband! But then when I got to the third drawer, this bracelet was in there:



I love the bracelet! Then I continued reading the card. It said to open the left side. So I found Kohls cash in there to go shopping!!! YEAH! That is always fun! Then the card said to open the bottom drawer. This is what I found:
















Sorry about the blurry picture...My camera didn't like the white glare with the flash! But you get the idea!




Bill got me a white gold chain when we were dating and has been talking about getting a pendant to go on it ever since then. You have to know that I NEVER take the chain off unless I am told to when I deliver a baby. That is seriously the only time it has been taken off since I got it. I even wore it when I delivered Kate because the nurse said it was okay. I am such a sentimental dork! Anyway, back to the story... Bill got me a pendant for the chain for Mother's Day!!! In the card, he said that it has six diamonds on it to represent us and our four kids. He did so good! And I don't like mother's rings - just a bit too cheesy for me. So he got a perfect gift! I said, "You just want to make sure we don't have any more kids - this deal is sealed in diamonds!" He said, "Unless you want a different pendant... sigh." It was funny! Thank you, thank you, thank you Bill!


So, the day went on, and we all got ready for church and headed over to my parents' house to visit my mom and talk to my little brother, who is in Tennessee on his mission. We took pictures while other people were taking turns talking to Andrew on the phone and just enjoyed being together!
Did we all have "silly" for breakfast? Sure looks like it! I have no idea what Rylee is doing in the next picture?!
See...Silly for breakfast!!! This is why we couldn't get Hayden in a picture with my mom for mother's day with the rest of our kids...He was too busy sitting on her counter, eating salt and vinegar potato chips with cousin Brielle. Those two are so cute together - the best of buddies!!!
We gave my mom her gift, and then she gave me a gift. What is that all about? She's the mom! She is so thoughtful sweet. And my kids adore her! She is such a fantastic mom and grandma. We are so lucky to live so close to her so that our kids can learn from her and develop that special relationship with her. She has always been such a good example to me of charity and that is one quality that I hope carries on for generations. My kids learn so much from her, and we love her! So here is my mom with my girls. I need to frame this for her, don't you think?


After we left my parents' house we went to church and then came home where I didn't have to cook dinner or clean it up. Bill really let me have the "day off!" It was so nice. I am so lucky to have such an amazing husband who loves me even with all of my moodiness and craziness!
Then the day ended with Kate laughing hysterically for about a half an hour before she fell asleep. Bill was cracking her up, and it was so sweet to watch! What a fun Mother's Day gift from that sweet one!
I now just feel grateful for Mother's Day, unworthy as I am. But thank you, Bill and kids, for making it wonderful! Thank you for making me eat crow, and for making the day wonderful and for not letting me feel like a failure all day. You are all wonderful, and I love you! I'm one lucky wife and mom!

10 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

Look how darling you all are. I am SO glad you were spoiled this year. You absolutely deserve it. And that pendant...STUNNING! You looked great in it this morning! Happy Mother's Day!

sheila said...

What a wonderful mothers day you had. You really do have a great husband and darling children. And, you are a "fabulous" (Carolyn's word, but it fits) mom.

Katherine said...

hi hilary

Larsens said...

Wow! That was one special day for you. Bill and the kids did good. I'm glad they made you eat crow:)

LiteralDan said...

Wow, what a day! I can't let my wife read this...

Anonymous said...

So glad you had such a nice Mom's Day!! LOVE the necklace...your hubby did a great job!!

Amy said...

What an awesome mother's day! You have a terrific family.

Andrea said...

Girl, you are spoiled! Isn't that a nice thing to be as a mom? I am so glad that they made your day special-you really deserve it :)

I hope this feeling will stay with you throughout the year....

Andrea said...

I added something to recent post-funny/trashy momma thing :)It wasn't funny at the time...

Loved the pics btw! You need to frame that one for your mom!

I'm going the last w/e of May. My friend Shannon is moving to Delaware :(. A new place to visit though...

Candice said...

Cute family! I'm not sure how I found your blog, you know how one blog leads to another and another. Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi and ask you your brother's name because I live in Smyrna, Tennessee. We have had a lot of experience with the missionaries here.