Monday, March 30, 2009

Day Off Of School

I know I am terribly late posting this, but better late than never, right?

Last Monday, the kids were out of school. I always love it when there is no school. I wanted to take the kids to the park or something outdoors again, but when we woke up it looked like this outside:
I guess the park is out. So I used my quick-thinking-on-my-feet-mommy-brain and decided to take the kids to Barnes and Noble to let them all pick out a new book to read. I forgot to take my camera with me, but it was so fun. Hayden walked inside and immediately started saying, "Lots of books, lots of books!" It didn't take him long to pick out a "Cars" set with stickers, a coloring book, crayons, magnetic scenes and cars, and a regular story book. It was wrapped in plastic and he kept trying to head up to the cash register saying, "Buy it first." Good boy. He knew he couldn't open it until we paid for it.

Rylee picked out a High School Musical book and was so excited to read it that she had almost a chapter read before we could get to the cash register. She was walking around the store reading while we picked out other books. I thought for sure that she would get bored with it before she finished it. It was 250 pages, for crying out loud. She sure proved me wrong. Came home and read all day long. She had most of it read before the day was over and then finished it the next day. I was super impressed.


Kate was so excited to find an Elmo book with a little plush puppet on it. She SCREAMED when she saw it and when we handed it to her, she hugged it and said, "I wuyoo, Elmo." I guess she found the book she liked!:)


Lana was saying she had a tummy ache and my mom was nice enough to come over and sit with her while I took the other kids. I think Lana really just wanted some one-on-one attention. Either that or she really didn't want to go. She is my little homebody. So I picked out a book for her and Grandma read it to her when we got home.



While the kids were all having fun with their new books, I made them lunch and cookies because on snowy days I have to make something warm and yummy. :)

After lunch, Hayden and Kate fell asleep. That gave me time to clean up the kitchen and get our next little activity ready.

I gave the two big girls pedicures. They always love it. I don't know if Rylee would even remember getting hers though because she had her nose in her book the whole time. (That's my kind of pedicure! Nothing like a good book while you are getting your feet washed, rubbed, and toenails painted.)




By the time I was finished with Rylee and Lana's toes, Kate was awake. Why not give her a pedicure too? Those cute little toes are too cute to ignore! We got a little carried away with the bubbles though. It was so fun! She loved it!




And Hayden slept through it all...


...Until Lana and I started up a rip-roaring game of Phase 10. The girls have loved learning that game. I just need to teach Lana to not show me her cards.;)

Our last fun little activity for the day was a pizza picnic on the floor for dinner when Bill got home. The kids loved it and wouldn't stop talking about their day to Bill. They were all so wound up, but it was great. We had a fun day and they were all happy.

We had a fun day and the kids were all happy. Based on that, I would say our snowy day off was a success!

10 comments:

Nicole said...

What cute little mom you are!! So creative. My little girl has that Elmo book and I get so tired of singing "If you're happy and you know it . . ." I sometimes hide it from her. :) And is it just me or is the Elmo puppet a little scary??

Dianne said...

Books, cookies and lunch. That is one of my favorite types of days to spend, too.

Nicole said...

Of course you can add me to your blog list. I will add you to mine as well. I am very glad that you found me on Facebook. It will be lots of fun to keep in touch. After the baby comes and things get settled we should defintely try to get together!

Picture Perfect said...

That is so funny with Kate and the bubbles! What a fun day you made for them!

Candice said...

How cute! What a fun mom you are!

Claudia said...

You are such a good mom! what nice memories for your kids.
love
Claudia

Ashley said...

What a fun Day!! I need to have a girl so that I can have some girl time. Painting toes is so nice. And you have made me want to go and get a pedi!! I need one horribly.

Your such a cute mom Hill!!

Love ya Cuz!!

Anonymous said...

You are such an adorable mom!! What a fun snow day. With all the fun things y'all did, I doubt any of the kids wanted to go back to school. :)
My girls love to get pedicures too... so fun!

Andrea said...

What a great day!! I have a hard time saying "no" to books! We have so many!

I love that you had pedicures, cookies, pizza's, a picnic.....wow!

April said...

What a fun day!!

We used to have pizza picnics when I was a kid. They were my favorite!