Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Leprechauns Are Back!

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

The Leprechauns are definitely visiting our house again this year. My kids put their little boxes out last night before bed and after we read the little story about the boxes to them. (For those of you who weren't reading my blog last year, THIS POST from last St. Patrick's Day explains the boxes and includes the story.)

It took the kids forever to go to sleep because they were so excited - especially Lana. She could not wait for today.
They weren't disappointed when they woke up. The Leprechauns had peed in the toilet (again) and left the water green, they stuck all of the green little tub toys that stick to the wall all over the house, and they left trails of gold coins leading to the hidden boxes. The house was such a wreck! Those stinking leprechauns. I really don't appreciate them making messes that I have to clean up.


Those silly little men tipped over Lana's little piano, made a mess of the baby wipes, and threw Rylee and Lana's new green shirts on the floor. But I guess we can't complain when they leave a lovely little rainbow on the wall with a pot of gold and goodies at the end of it. ;)
They also dumped over a box of Lucky Charms on the counter and spilled a container of green friendship rings I had on the counter for the girls to take to school and share with their friends. It drove poor Hayden nuts. He kept saying, "It's a mess. Clean up." He couldn't pick it all up fast enough.
We had a mess on the kitchen table as well. The green rug that was hanging to dry was thrown on the table, as well as a bunch of green cups and bowls. That silly Leprechaun even left green water in one glass. The girls think it's hilarious.
The kids' rooms were a mess. Both had gold coins thrown all over the floor leading from where the boxes were, out into the hall, and to wherever the Leprechaun hid their little treasures. But there was also a mess of papers and crayons left in their rooms. Apparently Leprechauns love to color with green crayons, and they don't think much of a note left by my sweet eight year old.
Rylee left a note for the Leprechauns saying, "I don't want to catch you or anything, but could you stay at my house all day tomorrow? I just want to know what you look like. Thank you for coming to my house every St. Patrick's Day. I can't wait to see what you do this year! Be safe. Your friend, Rylee Eccleston" As you can see, her letter was colored on as well and left right where she put it. Heartless little men. :)
Rylee can't be too upset though because as always, the little men left the kids all a box full of treasures.


Rylee asked why the Leprechauns would have left Kate a little Smurf doll. I told her that maybe they have a crush on Smurfette because she is about their size. Who knows.


Rylee had to get ready to go to school after all of the excitement, so she put on her St. Patrick's Day shirt that I got her just for today and made sure she wore the green beads that the Leprechaun left in the pot, green earrings, and a green hair bow. In the spirit of the day, she also ate Lucky Charms for breakfast in a green bowl. It works for me. There is just something about green pancakes or green milk that grosses me out. ;)
Lana had preschool today as well. She was so excited to wear her new shirt as well. Hers says, "Everybody loves an Irish girl." She looked so cute in it with her red hair. She was skipping all the way out the door to go to school.
Kate was my tired, grumpy little leprechaun girl today. She really didn't want her picture taken, but too bad! I'm the mom!


Hayden didn't really want his picture taken either. He just wanted to play. So I made him climb up with the girls really quick to snap a picture of all three of them. I seriously got two pictures, and he was off running. I guess this one will have to do!:)
We hope you all have a fantastic St. Patrick's Day! Hopefully the Leprechauns don't make too many more messes today because I am tired. But I have a feeling there is more to come.;)

12 comments:

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

Thank you so much for letting Ava be a part of your special day. I didn't even realize when I called you and you mentioned it would be st patties day....that we were that far into March.The last week is just 1 very long day in my mind. Ava had so much fun and looked so darling when I picked her up. You are amazing. Thanks!

Katherine said...

As usual you do the funnest things fro yuor kids. I love reading about it. I even thought about doing it this year... then I had a second thought and that one won...do nothing. Poor kids don't know what they are missing.

BTW. I still think you should start up a holiday blog and put all your fun ideas there for people to get ideas from. Or better yet write a book. It would be a best seller.

Jenn said...

AWWW! They look so CUTE!! I'm with you on the Lucky Charms!! I love Rylees letter-such a sweetheart! They all look darling in green.

Did you remember we had a phone date today? I totally fell asleep when I was laying down with Alyssa today(I usually just sleep for 15 minutes) and it turned into an hour. Then I was so groggy when I woke up! Will you be around this week if I call tommorow or Thursday? Love ya!

Beth said...

I agree with the holiday blog. I never would have thought to do anything for St. Patrick's Day. Zoe came home from school yesterday and told me that she has to wear green today, the leprechauns visited her school over the weekend, and we had to search her closet for a green shirt, it had to be all green! I am a lame mom!

Larsens said...

WOW. You go all out. I have to say, if I haven't said it already, that I have never celebrated St. Patrick's Day. The day means absolutely nothing to me. That's a great tradition that you have for your family. Way to go Hil!

Anonymous said...

Okay, miss cute mom!! Love the fun things you do for your kids on holidays! It's so hard for me to do anything like that on St. Patties Day b/c it happens to be my girls b-day. :)

Sara Jennings said...

Your house is just full of fun! Wow! I bet the kids just love all the fun stuff that goes on there! Miss ya Hil! :)

Dianne said...

It was fun seeing you on such a special day. Your kids are so cute and they are lucky to have such a cute mom!

Kris said...

You are such a fun mom! I want to be like you! :) Where do you get all your darling ideas?

Company EIGHT said...

You are such a darling mom! What a fun day!

Kris said...

Okay - Easter is approaching. Besides the Easter basket and hiding of them/treasure hunt...can I ask what else you are planning? I'd love to start some little traditions and also remember the main reason for the holiday.
-Kris

Tai said...

Looks like fun!! You never cease to spoil those cute kids with lots of fun!!