Monday, January 14, 2008

On The Downward Slide...

Okay, so as I was cleaning the house today (yep, it's cleaning day again), I broke some terrible news to myself. It is not something I have wanted to face, and don't pull a Dr. Phil on me and tell me "the first step is to acknowledge it" because I DON'T WANT TO! So the news I broke to myself: I officially have less than six months until I turn thirty!!! AAAAHHHH! I definitely will not be a graceful ager (is that even a word?) and I am having a hard time accepting the fact that I am no longer a hot chick (oh wait, I was never a hot chick) that guys want to check out while I am sitting at a stoplight. Could it be the minivan (dirty mini van, I might add) with the four kids in the back? Or could it be the bags under my eyes, or the lovely little wrinkles that are popping up on my face, or the saggy boobs (not that I have much to sag) or the constant spit up stains on my clothes? Holy crap, when did I start getting old? How do I stay young? I really am not taking this well. Is there life after thirty? Is it okay if I just say I am twenty-nine for the rest of my birthdays?

And to make matters worse, my husband just turns twenty-nine in March. So he still has more than a year until he is thrity. Hate that! I feel like I am on the downward slide of life now. Not only am I getting old, but my body is literally on the downward slide. Girls, you know what I mean - everything starts heading downward. Seriously, no amount of Botox can help some things.

So my question is, when do we officially become old and how the heck do I avoid it because I am finding the "thirty" word is really freaking me out. And please don't tell me to have another baby in order to stay young. NO WAY!!! But please, anyone who has overcome the "thrity" word, please clue me in to your secrets. I need to know life will go on and, if possible, get better after thirty. I really need to feel like my life isn't ending in less than six months. HELP!!!

6 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

I know I've told you this, but contract an illness and then you will be more focused on staying alive than on turning 20/10.

I wish I could offer some real words of wisdom, but I am one of those few who were excited to get out of my twenties. Thirty just changed my mindset on many things.

Larsens said...

Words of Wisdom: Blonde hair and dimmer lights around the mirror. It is a known fact that blondes have more fun, no matter what age. I can test to that. Guys just pay more attention to the blondes. They don't even notice the stains etc. just your blonde hair. They might even overlook your saggy boobs, and think that they are fabulous.
Dimmer lights around the mirror: You won't notice the increasing wrinkles. But seriously Hil, you look fabulous daaahhhling!

Heidi said...

At the ripe old age of 34, I am almost considered a senior citizen sometimes (at least at the mall after 5 PM). I feel like I have earned my age. There is no way I am going back to the baby producing 20's and starting all over.

By the way, I would put you at 24 tops :)

Anonymous said...

You just wake up on your birthday and you feel exactly the same as you did the day before and you carry on. I don't know what to do about the body's downward slide though...if you figure that one out (without sugery) let me know!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, can you do a recipe archive. I missed copying down your french bread recipe...Steph tells me it is wonderful and I would love to try it.

Andrea said...

Aaaah. I am heading out of the 30's this year (sigh). If I can do this, so can you. I remember thinking 30 would be scary, but my friend did it 13 days before me-and it was just fine. People will take you more seriously-really :)