Tuesday, January 29, 2008

She Got Me Thinking...


On Blackeyedsue's blog, she did a post about her "word of the year." I thought her word was fabulous. I wish I were as articulate as she is and could write as well as she does. And I really wish I were as talented as she is. But, I am just me. And unfortunately that means sometimes I have to steal an idea from her. So, call it stealing. That would be fair. But the fact of the matter is that her word of the year got me thinking about what my word would be. Are you ready? (Just so you know, mine will not be near as interesting to read as hers!) But if you really want to know here it is and why:

My word for the year is "Remember."

I think that if I were to really apply this word I wouldn't be such a stink so much of the time. I think depression wouldn't hit so hard. I think I would enjoy things more and appreciate what I have more.

So my goal is to apply this little word more in these ways:

I want to REMEMBER that my kids are only little once, and so I need to appreciate the silly things, the naughty things, the adorable things, even the hard things we encounter with them.

I need to REMEMBER how blessed I am to have the husband I do and the wonderful romance we share. Sometimes it seems like the giddy romance was a lifetime ago when we get caught up in being "mom" and "dad." But at the end of the day, he really is what matters most and the one I want to share everything with.

I need to REMEMBER that just because I make cookies with a little oatmeal in them I am not guaranteed heart health. Dang it. I need another excuse to eat a whole batch of cookies.

I need to REMEMBER life is for learning. Sometimes I take the "pity me" attitude too much and forget I couldn't appreciate the good in life if I didn't have the bad.


I need to REMEMBER my family and friends and try to be there for them the best I can.


I need to REMEMBER to pray. I am sometimes forgetful with this one. I pray with Bill, with the kids, and we pray as a family. But I forget to pray by myself or for myself.

I need to REMEMBER to not get out of the shower and start analyzing my body and want to cry. I have had four kids, for crying out loud. I will never have a rock hard butt (or abs, or thighs for that matter.) Maybe I could pray for them.

I need to REMEMBER to count my blessings. I have so many that I really should never complain.


I need to REMEMBER who I am in the grand scheme of things and that being "just a mom" is enough for now. Someday hopefully I will be able to see the rewards of being home by seeing my kids grow up to be wonderful adults. I know it is important. It is just easy to forget why.

I need to REMEMBER to journal the things my family experiences together. Such precious memories.

I need to REMEMBER to take time to individually tell the people in my life that I love how I feel and take the time to show them.

I need to REMEMBER to make every day count and to make a difference for the good each day.

There are so many things I need to REMEMBER. But the hardest one of all:

I need to REMEMBER to REMEMBER!
P.S. See. Not only do I copy blackeyedsue's idea, but then she reads my post and makes a cute little "Remember" thingie (what would you call it?) for the top of the post. I have a cool friend!!!

5 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

Stop. You are fantabulous and you know it!

I am SO going to "BE" "REMEMBERING" things this year.

I love your word. It is perfect!

Heidi said...

Oh stop it!! You are wonderful. I love your ability to be so interested in so many things. I am also amazed at your cooking ability. I wish I had your home-makeriness. You are awesome! By the way, any ideas for dinner? I made your teriyaki chicken and loved it.

Bilary said...

Heidi,

Oh, come on. I don't cook every night. Are you kidding? Dinner idea: Pancakes and bacon and fruit! Easy enough. Or even easier grilled cheese sandwiches and fruit! Glad you like the Teriyaki chicken!

Andrea said...

Oh man. I posted a comment and it went to cyberspace :(. Here goes again:
Great word! You stated that well. You help me to remember that mothering children is an important job. Some people don't have the opportunity to stay home and nurture if they wish-I have to remember that sometimes when I have had enough.

BTW, I saw my blog on your "Blogs I visit". I am honored! Reading others' blogs keeps me grounded. I feel so isolated lately (I really need to get involved in activities again). I hope I won't disappoint. :)

Larsens said...

I need to remember those things, too. I'm all about remembering because I sometimes feel like I can't remember anything. I think it is old age or something.
I just remembered: 4 days until Super Bowl!