Thursday, July 31, 2008

No Such Thing As A Free Lunch... Er, Dinner


As many of you know, I HATE cleaning day. Mondays are my cleaning day, and my kids have to play, be nice, and entertain themselves that day. I basically do as little as possible in the "mommy" department on Mondays, and do a lot in the "maid" department. I throw food at my kids like animals in a zoo on Mondays, and that is about all the care I give them (okay, I change diapers too, but only because I don't want the stink messing up the nice clean smell I have going in the house!;)

This past Monday was no different. As many of you know, on Monday nights after I have spent all day cleaning, I REFUSE TO MAKE DINNER AND MESS UP THE CLEAN KITCHEN. Am I lazy? Yep. But I hate messing up the clean floors, clean counters, etc. So Monday nights are usually pizza night. We have pizza delivered from Dominos almost every Monday night. I have been trying to not do that as often, but I caved on Monday night (surprise, surprise) and picked up the phone to order dinner.

When I told the guy on the phone that I wanted to order some pizza, he said, "Oh, it looks like you are eligible for a free medium pizza."

I was kind of taken aback and said, "Why do we get a free pizza? I haven't called and complained or anything about pizzas we have received in the past. We LOVE you guys!"

He said, "No, the free pizza is because you are one of our best customers." I laughed and laughed and told him that was great!

That figures. I am not a very lucky person, so this was kind of a fun surprise. But seriously, do you know how many pizzas we have bought from them? I'm so glad to know that you have to buy about ten thousand pizzas from a company before you are considered a "valued customer" who deserves a "free pizza." You see, they said it was free, but there is no such thing as free.

Just F.Y.I., that same day we got a letter in the mail from them with the coupon for a free pizza (I just hadn't gone out to the mailbox yet that day) and a note saying to look for "other red envelopes" in the mail. Oh, goody, goody. I can't wait!

I'm not complaining about the free pizza. It WAS a nice surprise. Definitely better than a kick in the pants. But just once, I would like to have someone call me and say, "You just won free pizza for life (or a million dollars, or a month long trip across Europe, or a vacation to Hawaii, or a new car...you get the idea) just because YOU'RE COOL!" :)

That was a great little end to my least favorite day of the week. Do you think that if I called again next Monday to order pizza, I would get the same response? Doubt it, but it is a good excuse to call and be lazy for dinner again on cleaning day!

12 comments:

Laurie said...

LOL!!! I would love to have take-out every night if I could. I am the same way about cleaning day. I would like my house to stay clean for just one day. OK, maybe not just one day! But I am afraid until they are all grown-up and moved out. That is never going to happen. A girl can dream...right!

Blackeyedsue said...

I am still giggling over this story. I am so glad you blogged it.

Chris, Deb and the Ava Jayne said...

It reminds me how you get 1 point for every dollar you spend at subway and after like 60 points you get a free sub. So every $60, you get a $3 sub for free. wow. thanks subway! Nice Return on Investment. Oh well...better than no free sandwhich I guess.

Also, I love that you have a cleaning day set aside. You are inspiring to me. one day...I too will clean this house...maybe tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Oh you crack me up! Reading your blog always brings a smile and/or a laugh to my day! :) I love your honesty...so refreshing!!

Mondays are my laundry and cleaning day too... no fun! And we order pizza too...funny! :)

Candace said...

You make me laugh! What a fun memory your kids are going to have about good old "Pizza Mondays!"

Katherine said...

You just made my day! That was soo funny.

Kirsti's behind me diong the dishes (by hand!man I'm a mean mom) and can't seem to see why her mom is sitting at the computer laughing instead of helping her. After all it is 11:15pm.

Well, that just cinched the deal, the award for the meanest mom in the world goes to none other than. . . ME!

Seroiusly though your blog always brings a smile to my face.

Larsens said...

I admire people who stick to their "days" of cleaning or laundry or whatever. I only clean or do laundry when I can't stand the mess anymore or the laundry basket is full.

When I was little I used to spend all my allowance at this little candy kiosk by my house. This went on for years and one Christmas the kiosk owner gave me a box of chocolates for Christmas. I went home and my dad said that this is truly a sign for a great customer. Now the sign is my rotting teeth from all the candy I ate.

AimeeTheSuperMom said...

Hey! You're a valued friend! I'm sending you my four children free of charge. They're your's for life. Enjoy!!

Andrea said...

I often think about you on Mondays, because I know it is "reserved" for cleaning :).

I'm just not that organized, but I am striving for it. I did print up a calendar (now hiding in a cabinet) with cleaning tasks written in pencil, in case plans change. Baby steps.

Congrats on the "prize"! It was a nice surprise at least!?! If you do win a trip to Europe-come to visit! Seriously! But only in the next 23 months...and if you win the lottery....well...that would be nice, too! :)

Jenn said...

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cool. It makes cleaning sound so EXCITING. So you have to like FRAME The gift certificate. That is such a good plan....you teach me so much.

Company EIGHT said...

A clean house and free pizza? You really can't beat that!

Tai said...

That is hilarious. I am cracking up. I can't believe they give you a free pizza after you have ordered so many. Dont you wish hard things were given to people for free like... having babies. " You have carried four already.. here is a free one no pregnancy involved and we will pay for it and its college etc.." Oh no, everything we would like to be free and easy is hard!!! So fun!!